Sunday, August 27, 2017

Easy Spanish Readers for SSR/ FVR

In my little classroom "library" I have:

TPRS readers (Agentes Secretos y el mural de Picasso, Piratas del Caribe y el mapa secreto, etc)
(chapter books; which automatically discourage lower leveled readers)

and children's books
(ummm these have words I haven't even learned in Spanish and the grammar is all over the place)

Cover of book
But what gets my students ready to have the confidence to read those books or what else can I offer to them during SSR and FVR that isn't just  a TPRS reader and has more pictures and might even have structures from those TPRS readers broken down but aren't just "there's a boy. He goes to....".  I want to play around with genre.

So I ordered some leveled readers from http://www.willbooks.com. These were actually like the idea that I had and as I read them with my daughter, I realized that more of this type of book was what I was missing in my class!

And I wrote a book. The sample was well received by teachers.
And two particular teachers told me to sell it for other teachers to print.

The book focuses on "no hay"; "hay", and "al mono le gustan los plátanos" and numerous places.

While it is more simple than many Spanish teachers would ever think to give to a student, I want to make reading so easy that it can be enjoyable and relaxing. When a student finds success, they are more likely to read! And I think this can even be used in high school if students are given the choice to read it. Because many of my high school students are nostalgic for being young again and simpler times. I want my class to be as stress free as possible. So that means I should make sure I have book options that can be stress free for even the lowest reader.

Without further adieu, my first Easy Spanish Reader: Al mono le gustan los plátanos. I am finally selling something on Teachers Pay Teachers (don't judge me too hard!).

I hope you can find a use for it in your classes and I plan to write more as well.

Al mono le gustan los plátanos:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Easy-Spanish-Reader-Al-mono-le-gustan-los-platanos-3358958


*Edit*  Here's my second super simple reader!

¿De qué color es el cerdo?
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Easy-Spanish-Reader-De-que-color-es-el-cerdo-3367401

No comments:

Post a Comment